Have you been wondering how to make THC oil? That is what this article is about. Besides CBD, THC is one of the most active compounds found in cannabis, and it is the main reason you get that euphoric high after consuming marijuana. THC and the use of marijuana have become popular over the years as many people are using it for medicinal and recreational purposes.
You can enjoy consuming marijuana without smoking. Instead, you can also consume it through THC oil.
What is THC Oil?
Cannabis oil is also known as THC oil. Other common names include marijuana oil or Rick Simpson oil, and it is made from marijuana. Cannabis oil is made by dissolving the cannabinoid content of your weed to any edible oil you’d prefer, such as coconut oil, olive, hemp seed oil, or medium-chain triglyceride oil. It is easy as the cannabis oil is fat-soluble.
We have mentioned that cannabis oil is made by dissolving cannabinoid weed content into edible oil, and now you may be wondering what cannabinoids are. That is why we shall discuss this in this next part.
The cannabis plant has over a hundred compounds that belong to the class of substances called cannabinoids. The two major cannabinoids in the cannabis plant are Cannabidiol (CBD) and Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Cannabinoids are chemical compounds that act on cannabinoid receptors in cells, modulating neurotransmitters release in the brain.
Cannabidiol (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
CBD and THC are some of the main ingredients in cannabis oil.
CBD exhibits many medicinal values for different health conditions. In addition, it is proven to have effects on numerous neurological and physiological disorders. Examples of such disorders include; bipolar, cancer, chronic pain, diabetes, depression, epilepsy, stress, hypertension, anxiety, arthritis, ADHD, and ADD.
THC has been found to have intoxicating effects on users. However, it also has medicinal benefits for various conditions and pain-related disorders.
How to Make THC Oil
Now we are here; what you’ve been waiting for the most. We shall now discuss how to make cannabis oil step by step. But firstly, you will need to set your ingredients and some equipment.
THC Oil Recipe One (Rick Simpson’s Method)
This is Rick Simpson’s (used to make cannabis oil at home that made him survive a severe head injury and skin cancer) way of making cannabis oil at home. It requires a total of three to four hours.
- Marijuana(one ounce of good organic marijuana produces three to four grams of oil) This method works better with larger amounts of cannabis.
- 99.5% isopropyl alcohol. Use two cups for an ounce of cannabis
- Two stainless steel stock pots ( food-grade plastic buckets are also okay).
- Stainless steel rice cooker
- Long wooden stirring spoon
- Large syringes
- Coffee warmer
- Plastic bottles
- Plastic funnels
- Stainless steel measuring cup
- Electric cooling fan and extension cord
- Coffee filters
- Place the weed in a steel pot, dampen it with chilled isopropyl alcohol, and then crush it with a wooden spoon.
- Add alcohol until the weed is completely immersed and keep crushing for five minutes. This crushing action is known as a “wash” because you wash the plant’s trichomes.
- Block the lip of the pot with a lid and pour the solvent into the second pot. Don’t dispose of the remaining plant matter.
- Pour more alcohol into the first bucket and ensure it is immersed. Crush it with the wooden spoon (this is called the second wash).
- Drain the solvent into the bucket with the first solvent.
- Leave the solvent to rest as you dispose of the remaining plant matter and rinse the first bucket.
- Put a coffee filter in the plastic funnel and insert it through the mouth of the plastic bottle. Pour the mixture through the coffee filter to strain excess debris. Do this as many times as you may need to.
- Set up the electric fan and rice cooker in a well-ventilated room with no open flames, sparks, or red-hot elements. The fan prevents alcohol fumes from condensing to a point where they can ignite.
- Fill the rice cooker with your solvent mixture. Make sure it does not go all the way up. An important point to note: we are using a rice cooker here because it is automatically set to maintain enough temperatures to get the solvent boiling without vaporizing the oil.
- Set the rice cooker to the highest temperature setting to boil the solvent. Ensure the fan is on and is facing the rice cooker.
- When the solvent has boiled, and the level dropped to about two inches, add twelve drops of water and mix The water is to help the remaining solvent boil off and cleanse the residue.
- Hold the rice cooker with oven mitts and swirl it as the alcohol traces boil off completely. How will you know when the process is almost complete? Here’s how; i). The leftover oil will produce a crackling sound ii). The oil will start bubbling iii). Dark steam that looks like smoke will escape from the oil
- Let the rice cooker switch to a low setting, turn it off, and let the mixture cool.
- Pour the mixture in a stainless steel measuring cup on a coffee warmer to remove any water remaining. You will know the water has evaporated when bubbling stops. Remove the measuring cup and let it cool.
- Once the oil has cooled, draw it into large needless syringes and let it cool completely into a thick grease-like substance. There you are. Your canna oil is ready to use.
Place the syringes in a steel container or a bottle and place the lid tightly. Store it in a dark and cool place to prevent air and sunlight from damaging it.
THC Oil Recipe Two (Oil Soaking Method)
The second method of making canna-oil is using this method, known as the oil soaking method. This method aims to soak your buds in oil you already use (carrier oil) to release marijuana oil in the carrier oil. Again, you need to do this with a fat-based oil like coconut oil or olive oil, which has a high smoking point, health benefits, and versatility.
- Quality cannabis flower
- Carrier oil
- Probe thermometer
- Glass bowl
- Unbleached cheesecloth
- Fine mesh strainer
- Double-boiler or crockpot
- Storage container like a mason jar
- Break the cannabis flower into small pieces and decarb. You can weigh it to have exact measurements. Most people use 7-10 grams.
- Using the crockpot or double boiler, turn the heat on low and add your carrier oil. If you don’t have a double boiler or a crockpot, you can improvise a double boiler by using a saucepan with a metal or glass bowl raised above the water level. This ensures you use temperatures that are between 120 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Please keep checking the temperature and once it is stable, add your weed and leave to boil between 20 minutes to an hour.
- Use the unbleached cheesecloth to line the inside of your glass bowl. Pour your oils through the cheesecloth liner. Leave it to cool.
- Use the funnel to gently pour the canna oil into the glass jar and store it after labeling.
This method does not give you precise amounts of CBD and THC levels. However, you can control how much bud you add per cup of oil. For example, you can use seven to ten grams of cannabis per cup of oil.
Health Benefits of Using THC Oil
Now that you know how to make THC oil, I would like us to go through the various health benefits associated with consuming the oil.
There are various ways of consuming cannabis, including smoking and using cannabis oil. It has many health benefits. However, it is important to note that canna oil has higher TCH concentrations compared to smoking.
a). Reduces Stress and Anxiety
One of the most common reasons why people smoke is to be free from stress and depression. Whether you smoke it or use cannabis oil, you will not feel stressed once you use it.
Cannabis oil has just the properties to kick asthma symptoms as it has analgesic and inflammatory properties.
c). Appetite and Obesity
Cannabinoids present in marijuana helps to stimulate appetite by binding themselves to receptors responsible for hunger. In addition, these cannabinoids also stimulate some hormones for hunger suppression.
d). Relieves Pain
One of the most common and well-documented uses of cannabis oil is pain relief. Its analgesic properties help calm the body and give you a little relaxation.
e). Kills Cancerous Cells
This cannabinoid is responsible for killing or shrinking cancer cells while leaving your body’s cells unharmed. So there may be a good chance that cannabis oil can cure cancer. It is yet to be proven, but there is room for optimism.
THC oil is responsible for pain relief and has anti-spasmodic properties; this helps people with problems with their urinary bladder, stomach, or intestines. It can also work wonders for people with digestive issues.
Other Benefits of Canna Oil
Since canna-oil is a weed extract mixed into other oils like coconut oil or olive oil, its uses have become endless. Let’s discuss some of them.
a). Cannabis Cooking oils have been useful for cooking, baking, and even adding to salads. Canna oils have found their way to homemade edibles and drinks and have been referred to as edible oils as you can add them to anything you eat. You can add them to a drink or food of any type. Cannabutter is a cooking oil in solid form and is also a great option for baking.
b). Vape oils are becoming more popular as more people try to avoid lighting up blowing the smoke. Vapes a great smoke on the go as they can easily fit in your pocket, so it is readily available.
c). Tincture is an oil droplet added under the tongue, and it has become popular for cannabis-infused oil since you don’t have to take it with food or anything that you may not want to consume at that moment. It is also uncommon for tinctures to cause throat or mouth irritations.
d). You can also use cannabis-infused oil or olive oil to make lotions, balms, and body oils that may help with skin irritations or muscle and tissue pain relief.
Cannabis Product Types
Cannabis products are available in various forms. Getting what works best for you may involve a bit of trial and error. Some forms include;
1. Cannabis Oil (Capsules)
Cannabis-infused oil can be ingested in the form of capsules, and this may be the most convenient way. They are more straightforward and come in the form of soft gel. The best thing about capsules is that they are dosed so you can keep track of your daily intake. You can take the recommended dosage with milk or water.
2. Cannabis Oil (Tincture)
This is the most prolific of the various forms available. In addition, they are the purest form of cannabis oil as it does not involve further processes. To use cannabis oil tincture, place a few drops under the tongue and let it stay there for as long as you can.
Whether you make cannabis oil or buy from a supplier, you can add it to a drink or food. However, hot drinks may alter their beneficial nutrients. Therefore it is advisable to add it only to cold drinks.
3. Cannabis Oil (Topicals)
Cannabis topicals come in the form of creams, oils, lotions, salves, and balms. You can use them to treat painful joints, inflammation, and muscle stiffness. Manufacturers may add other ingredients to maximize the benefits of these substances, like skin conditioning.
To use this form of cannabis oil, apply it externally to the affected area and rub gently until fully absorbed.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it safe to take cannabis-infused oil?
When taken at the right dosage, cannabis oil is unlikely to get you high or intoxicated. Therefore, it is better to get the right dosage with the help of a medical practitioner.
2. What can you do with cannabis-infused oil?
Cannabis-infused oil can be used for cooking different foods, including baking, cooking sauces, drizzling over pasta eggs, and many other types of food. Cooking with cannabis-infused oil is common as many people are using it more than before.
3. What is the difference between Cannabis oil and CBD oil?
Each of these is an oil infused with cannabis extract high in THC. Cannabis oil contains extremely high amounts of THC than CBD oil does. Cannabis oil is also derived from medicinal or recreational cannabis, whereas CBD oil is extracted from hemp.
- Best CBD Oil for Pain Relief, Inflammation, and Relaxation - October 1, 2021
- Herb Garden Ideas: Indoor and Outdoor Herb Gardens - September 27, 2021
- Best CBD Vape Juice, CBD Oils, and E Juice To Meet Your Needs - September 23, 2021