A garden hose is among those do-it-all items that every homeowner should have in their homes. Whether you want to tend your garden flowers, water your lawn, or wash your car, a garden hose will be useful around the home. But, if you are tired of having to drag around heavy hoses from one watering location to another, it’s time to get the best lightweight garden hose instead.
Lightweight garden hoses offer access to water nearly anywhere in the yard. Not only can you use them to water your lawn and garden, but you can also connect them to a power washer to clean the paving stones, patio, and deck. Also, you can use the hose to wash your car at home. In other words, garden hoses are versatile items that will make your work easier and less tiring at home.
With many hose options on the market, choosing can be a bit tricky, but not anymore. We put together these reviews to give you precise information about each of the best garden hose models available. Keep reading for more shopping tips and vital hose selection considerations.
1. Flexi Hose Lightweight Expandable Garden Hose
- The Flexi Hose expandable garden hose automatically expands up to 3 times…
- Solid 3/4 inch brass connectors ensure the expanding garden water pipe fits…
- The 3750D elastic outer fabric with 4 layers of latex protects the inner…
- Every Flexi Hose is endurance-tested to 2000 uses and can withstand water…
- The included 8-pattern rotating hose spray nozzle is constructed out of…
If you are looking for the best lightweight garden hose that is flexible and expandable, Flexi Hose Lightweight Garden Hose should be your first choice. This lightweight hose model has an eight-function spray nozzle, so you can wash the car, rinse pets, or water the garden with the same hose. It is designed to prevent kinks and can expand from 17 feet to 50 feet when filled. Besides, after the water is off, the hose returns to its compact size for storage.
Flexi Hose is all about the thick double latex core and 3/4 inch solid brass fittings making it durable and sturdy. The 3/4-inch brass fittings are fitted to either end of the hose with a rubber seal that helps prevent leaks. Also, a built-in shut-off valve fitting provides effective water control. Furthermore, the expandable garden hose drains quickly and shrinks down, making it easy to transport, plus no more hassle coiling up rubber that doesn’t want to go in the right direction.
This expandable hose has an exterior layer of durable polyester fabric and two layers of flexible latex to help in protecting the latex from scratches and cuts. In addition, it comes with a lifetime replacement guarantee making it one of the best expandable hoses to buy.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Can expand three-times its size
- Eight-function spray nozzle
- Lightweight for easy maneuverability
- Less durable compared to rubber hoses
2. Flexzilla Lightweight Garden Lead-In Hose 5/8 In. x 50 feet- (HFZG550YW)
- Extremely flexible – Our distinctive green hoses are built from a special…
- Extremely durable – Purpose built to handle any industry and environment….
- Won’t kink under pressure – Our hoses are made from a special hybrid…
- Leak free and drinking water safe – Each garden hose contains superior…
- Lightweight – Lighter than traditional garden hoses making Flexzilla easier…
You can count on the Flexzilla Lightweight Garden Lead-In Hose for the best lightweight garden hose that can withstand extreme weather conditions. This hose can handle up to -40 °F temperatures with much ease without any damage to materials. Besides, it is also drinking water safe.
This 50-foot hose weighs only 8 pounds, making it accessible for people of all abilities and ages. It is also available in 10, 25, 75, and 100-foot lengths. The Flexzilla Lightweight Garden Lead-In Hose is constructed from a flexible hybrid polymer that ensures it rest flat and won’t kink under the water pressure; plus, it has anodized aluminum connectors.
The manufacturer claims that the hose’s maximum water pressure is 150 PSI. But, conversely, some users complain about the hose not being kink-resistant due to its flexibility when no water is on it.
- Can withstand extreme weather conditions
- Flexible and easy to use
- Lightweight making it accessible for many people
- Easy to maneuver and store
- Will kink if not filled with water
3. Bionic Steel Garden Hose-304 Stainless Steel Metal Water Hose
- ULTRA DURABLE – our hoses are constructed from a commercial-grade 30.4…
- FLEXIBLE & LIGHTWEIGHT – the unique interlocking flex design is extremely…
- WEATHERPROOF – the Bionic Steel Hose has been built to withstand extreme…
- FITTINGS – the aluminum crush resistant fittings & stabilizer collar are…
- LARGE DIAMETER FOR MAX PERFORMANCE – inner diameter is a large 5/8 of an…
If you are looking for the best lightweight garden hose that can sustain rough handling, then the Bionic Steel Garden Hose is right for you. It is a heavy-duty hose made from lightweight stainless steel for matchless durability; it doesn’t rust, is leak and puncture-resistant. Moreover, it has a 1/2 -inch diameter and comes in 25, 50, 75-foot lengths.
Despite being made from steel metal, this heavy-duty hose only weighs few pounds, and it is still highly flexible to maneuver around obstacles in your garden yard, resisting kinks and laying flat. Furthermore, this heavy-duty hose has been built to endure extreme conditions from sub-zero temperatures.
This Bionic Steel Garden Hose body is covered in a strong steel, allowing for consistent and high water pressure output, yet it can coke easily and store effortlessly. Besides, it doesn’t expand or retract, guaranteeing you a steady and uninterrupted water flow.
- Heavy-duty lightweight hose
- Features double-layer latex core for durability and flexibility
- Highly flexible to maneuver around obstacles
- Endure extreme temperatures and weather conditions
- Poorly made coupling ends.
4. Gilmour Flexogen Heavy Duty Watering Garden Hose (824251-1001)
- 500PSI burst strength guarantees long hose life
- Patented tri-extrusion construction for maximum durability
- Polished cover resists dirt-collecting abrasions
- Anti-microbial layer guards against mold and mildew
- Lifetime warranty
For the best lightweight garden hose ideal for light chores, we recommend the Gilmour Flexogen Heavy Duty Watering Hose. This lightweight garden hose holds water pressure and is easy to maneuver around. The 1/2-inch diameter helps keep the weight low and offers an easy-to-grip design for you to drag it around your garden yard.
This heavy-duty rubber hose is made from durable rubber, thin layers of foam, and woven nylon for additional durability. However, some users complain of the design flaw that results in an inner rupture and causing bulging of the hose. Over time, this results in the hose to kink and fold more easily and break down the material much far until it becomes unusable.
However, this is a great option for general use around the garden yard for watering, washing your car, and other light chores. The hose comes with great customer service and a lifetime warranty.
- Ideal for light chores
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Offers great customer service
- Rolls up easily for maneuverability and storage
- Bulges with heavy uses
- Kinks easily even with water on
5. zero-G 4001-50 (5/8″ x 50′, 2-Pack) Lightweight, Kink-Free Garden
- 50% Lighter Weight than commercial vinyl hoses
- Kink-Free, Easy to Maneuver and Store
- High-Burst, High-Flow Rated
- Commercial-Grade, Ergonomic, Crush-Proof, Aluminum Couplings
- 100% Drinking Water Safe & Lead Free
This hose comes with an inner polymer tube covered by a woven fiber and non-snag covering that offers protection and durability. When the Zero-G Garden Hose is not filled with water, it collapses completely for easy folding storage, tough you can as well wind it onto a reel, and water will still be flowing while not fully extended.
The Zero-G Garden Hose is 50% lighter than commercial vinyl hoses. It comes with patented aluminum fittings that are considered crush-proof and durable, and thick in design; however, they still fit a universal nozzle. As a result, it is easy to combine multiple hoses with this hose model without sacrificing overall water pressure and weight.
This hose is a 100% drinking water-safe and lead-free model. Unfortunately, this lightweight hose doesn’t do well in below-freezing temperatures, meaning that for temperatures that drop below freezing, the materials of this hose will not endure extreme cold. The freezing water ends up damaging and straining the materials rendering them useless.
Therefore, this garden hose is only a great pick for those who put up their hoses once temperatures start to drop towards freezing or temperate climate users.
- Durable and well-built lightweight hose
- Easy to maneuver and store
- High flow rated
- Easy to grip and pull
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Difficult to roll for some users
- Leaks easily
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Lightweight Garden Hoses
1. Type of hose
When shopping for the best garden hoses, it is important to consider the type of hose best for particular watering tasks. These garden hoses come in different models, including soaker, sprinkler, flat, standard, coiled, and expandable.
- Soaker garden hoses- these hoses have thousands of pinholes that allow water to flow through the sides of the hose. You can either bury these hoses under the soil or lay these hoses in a garden bed to provide a source of hydration. Soaker hoses slowly leak water into the ground.
- Sprinkler garden hoses-these hoses have fewer holes than soaker hoses and operate more like horizontal sprinkler systems. As water is released from the hose, the water pressure reduces the water travel farther from the water source.
- Flat garden hoses-these hoses help minimize kinking over long distances of about 25 feet or more. When empty, the hose tends to be flat; however, it takes on a rounded shape when filled with water. These hoses are mostly used to fill drain hot tubs and pools and supply water to RVs. Some are rated particularly for drinking water; therefore, they can be used as a supply line.
- Standard lightweight garden hoses-these hoses have a male and female hose metal or plastic coupling. The hose shape is straight and round. These lightweight hoses may kink, so they are better for small areas.
- Coiled lightweight garden hoses-these hoses resume to a more compact shape when not in use. They are easier to loop and store; however, they don’t exceed 50 feet in length. They can be overwhelming to use in larger yards due to the complexity of pulling the hose to its full length.
- Expandable garden hoses-these lightweight hoses are compact; however, when they fill with water, they expand along the length of the hose to about two or three times their length. Nonetheless, with time, these hoses lose their flexibility. Avoid storing them in direct sunlight.
2. Hose material
Lightweight garden hoses are made from different materials, including latex, rubber, plastic, vinyl, polyurethane, and metal.
- Latex- This material is used to make expandable hoses; sometimes, it features a polyester fabric exterior to help the hose against punctures, thorns, and sharp corners.
- Rubber-This material makes the hoses durable and resistant to extreme temperatures, although they are more expensive and heavier than vinyl hoses.
- Plastic- is often used for hose couplings, although it is more prone to breaking and cracking than metal.
- Vinyl- forms the authentic hose portion of the garden hose. It is lightweight and flexible; however, not as durable as rubber. It is usually labeled “polyvinyl chloride” (PVC).
- Polyurethane- resins occasionally cover a hose’s exterior to offer a sleek appearance and a more durable finish to help in protecting against leaks.
- Metals—brass, stainless steel, and aluminum—are often used for hose fittings. Some hoses even use metal for the authentic hose portion.
3. Size and Ply
Lightweight garden hoses are usually measured by the material’s ply and hose’s diameter. Therefore, when shopping for the best lightweight garden hose, consider the diameter size measured across the hose’s opening. The diameter regulates the space available for water to flow. The regular diameter for a residential hose is ⅝ inch; however, hoses also come in 1-inch, 3/4-inch, 1/2-inch diameters. Even larger diameter hoses are usually used in commercial applications.
Conversely, ply shows the number of layers used in constructing the hose, ranging from one to three for lightweight hoses. Thicker garden hoses endure a higher water flow rate and the damage that might happen when the hose is pulled over rough decking or rocks. Nonetheless, you will not find the hose ply mentioned on the packaging.
4. Hose length
Consider the hose length before buying the hoses since you want the hose to reach into the garden yard to perform various watering tasks. Mostly the length for a garden hose is 50 ft; however, they also are made in 10-foot, 15-foot, 25-foot, 75-foot, 100-foot, 125-foot, and 150-foot hose lengths.
Nonetheless, as the hose’s length increases, so does the drag and friction on the water flowing through it, causing lower water pressure as the distance from the water source raises. Therefore, you should balance the desired length with the optimum water pressure needed for adequate watering. If you want a long hose, you need to consider one with a wide diameter, which helps maintain consistent water pressure from the nozzle to the end of the hose.
The fittings, also known as couplings, are the parts at both ends of a hose. They usually thread to an outdoor faucet, attach to a nozzle, or connect to a sprinkler. The fittings may be made of less pricey plastic. Female fittings consist of a wide piece of plastic or metal that spins freely at the end of the hose. This fitting fits over a male coupling, which treads down to create a tight seal. Conversely, the male fitting is a fixed piece of plastic or metal that must thread into a female coupling to connect properly. We, therefore, recommend you consider an octagonal-shaped female fitting since it is easier to turn and tighten than a completely round one.
- Best Blunt Wraps for A Blunt Roll and A Perfect Buzz - July 28, 2021
- Best Fertilizer for Marijuana to Maximize Harvest and Yield - July 9, 2021
- Best Humidifier for Bedrooms to Reduce Dry Air in the Room - July 8, 2021