Bermuda grass (of the Cynodon species) is an important turf grass that is commonly used where both the cool-season and warm-season grasses have adapted. It goes by several common names that include wiregrass and even devil grass. Using the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass gives an improved turf-type Bermuda grass dense, fine-bladed, and widely acceptable in sports fields, commercial properties, and high-end maintenance lawns.
It is best to use a turfgrass maintenance calendar on turf growing; however, the management practices will also be adjusted based on the climate that year and the region where the bermuda grass is being grown. For example, if your grass is yellow or patchy, you might have to look at fertilizers for Bermuda grass. Also, at times, the soil might not have enough nutrients for the grass to grow healthy.
The right Bermuda grass fertilizer will help the Bermuda grass on your lawn to produce a full, thick, and deep green lawn if maintained well. Similarly, your care calendar must consistently follow the fertilizer schedule for best results, and not all fertilizers are best for your grass. However, the best fertilizers for Bermuda grass contain nitrogen as an important element, and this review will help you choose the best one.
The Best Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass Lawns
1. Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced N P K
- Complete NPK Lawn Food: 16-4-8 is the perfect blend of key macronutrients….
- Contains High Quality Feed Grade Ingredients: Nourish your lawn to health…
- 1 Gallon Sizes covers 12,800 square feet. This complete Nitrogen, Phosphate…
- All Grass types: Including Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Buffalo,…
- Produced In The United States: 16-4-8 is manufactured in the United States…
If you want complete and balanced water-soluble lawn food, highly consider Simple Lawn Solutions Advanced Liquid Fertilizer. It has a N P K ratio of 16-4-8, which means its nitrogen is a little higher than you would have it in a 3-1-2 N P K ratio combination. This water-soluble lawn food and liquid fertilizer are incredibly helpful, especially if your Bermuda grass lawn is yellow and malnourished.
This lawn fertilizer is natural and organic, and safe for you, your children, pets, and the environment in general. This liquid fertilizer aims to nourish and fertilize Bermuda grass without using a lot of chemicals in that process.
Generally, this liquid fertilizer can be used to fertilize Bermuda grass and be used as a lawn fertilizer for any kind of grass. It does really well for Bermuda grass and can also be used in its different varieties Buffalo, Centipede, Bahia, and Zoysia.
It comes with its own sprayer, and all you need to do is just add its spray head on to your garden hose, and you’re all set. One bottle will work well for 3,200 square feet of grass.
As an organic, lawn fertilizer it contains ingredients such as seaweed and fish, which are essential in the health of your lawn. In addition, they feed your Bermuda grass lawn with macronutrients that will help your Bermuda grass grow dense and lush.
- It has a 16-4-8 N P K ratio, which is the perfect blend of the key macronutrients
- It is a lawn food and liquid fertilizer that also contains seaweed and fish
- It contains high-quality feed grade ingredients that nourish your lawn with safe, liquid nutrients
- It is a nitrogen-rich organic fertilizer
- It comes with its own sprayer, that can connect the spray head on to your garden hose
- Its 1-gallon sizes covers 12,800 square feet
- It is a complete Nitrogen(N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium(K) formula that gives your grass the green and growth, nutrients for roots, and turf strength.
- It is suitable for all grass types that include Bermuda grass, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede, Buffalo, Florida Palmetto, Fescue, Bahia, Kentucky bluegrass, and Ryegrass
- It is a slow-release fertilizer for Bermuda grass
2. Simple Lawn Solutions Extreme Grass Growth Lawn Booster
- Increase Vertical & Lateral Growth: Advanced Humic Acid Formula, Also Great…
- Nitrogen & Phosphorus Fertilizer: Commercial Lawn Growth Boosting Formula…
- Use For Nutrient Deficiency, New Lawns and Lawn Repair: Concentrated…
- All Grass types: Including Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Buffalo,…
- Produced In The United States: Growth Booster is manufactured in the United…
If you need to give a boost to your Bermuda grass lawn, you will definitely love the Simple Lawn Solutions Concentrated Fertilizer. It’s perfect for Bermuda grass lawns since it’s not a full or balanced lawn food either. Rather, it’s built to improve the growth of your grass both in width and length.
It contains Humic acid and Fulvic that makes it an advanced formula. You might need biological stimulants to safely release nitrogen and other nutrients since this is an organic fertilizer. However, this organic fertilizer is a natural solution that makes it non-toxic and safe to use around children and pets, which is why many organic and natural lawn care products have become very popular.
As an advanced formula, other than Humic acid and Fulvic, it contains phosphorus and nitrogen but has no potassium. It works well for most lawns, which makes it a great fertilizer for Bermuda grass lawns. It also does well for many other grass forms, including Bluegrass, Palmetto, and Centipede. Additionally, grass from St. Augustine, Buffalo, and Zoysia also gains from this fertilizer in plenty.
Overall, it is a great fertilizer that also comes with its sprayer handle, making it easy to apply without needing any additional equipment.
- It increases the growth of the grass both in length and width
- It is an advanced Humic acid and formula that is also great for new seeding
- It is a nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer
- It is a commercial lawn growth-boosting formula
- It comes in a ready-to-use sprayer that can be attached to the garden hose end
- It works well for nutrient deficiency, new lawns, and lawn repair because of its concentrated nutrients formulation that boosts the growth of your turf lawn
- It works for all grass types that include St. Augustine, Bermuda grass, Zoysia, Centipede, Buffalo, Bahia, Florida Palmetto, Fescue, Ryegrass, and Kentucky Bluegrass
- It is a growth booster that is manufactured in the United States of America by a family-owned business with 25 years of prior experience dealing with professional commercial turf
- It has no potassium
- It needs stimulants to release the nutrients
3. Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food WinterGuard
- Improved formula—up to 2X more powerful dandelion and clover control
- Clears out dandelions and clover—satisfaction guaranteed
- Weedgrip Technology grips the weeds you see—and the ones you don’t
- Feeds to build strong, deep roots for a better lawn next spring
- Improves lawn’s ability to absorb water and nutrients versus an unfed lawn
If you want to protect your grass that is dormant during the winter in the winter, you have the Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard to help with that. The lawn food in this WinterGuard nitrogen fertilizer is suitable for use during fall to ensure that the roots remain intact even though the grass is not growing.
Using this nitrogen-rich fertilizer in the soil ensures that the roots grow deeper and stronger during the next year’s growing season in the spring and summer months. In certain cases, using fertilizer is best during fall to ensure that next season’s grass growth is lush and thick.
It works by providing the nutrients that restore the soil to undo the damage caused by heat, drought, or daily lawn activity. This helps the roots to be better equipped to take on winter. This assures you that this type of fertilizer will boost the ability of your lawn to retain more rainwater and that it will be able to grow healthy during its growing season.
- It is an improved formula
- It is 2x more powerful than regular organic fertilizers in dandelion and clover control
- It helps clears out dandelions and clover
- It has a weed grip technology that clears out the visible weeds and the ones you can’t see
- It feeds your Bermuda grass to build strong and deep roots for a lush lawn next spring
- It improves the lawn’s ability to absorb water and nutrients
- It can only work for dormant grass
4. Scotts Green Max Lawn Food
- Feeds for deep greening in just 3 days
- Dual-action, 2-in-1 formula feeds and supplements with iron
- Guaranteed not to stain when used as directed
- Apply to any grass type
- Recommended for many lawns as part of the Scotts Lawn Care Plan
If you want to have a greener lawn, then you definitely need a Scotts Green Max nitrogen fertilizer. It confidently assures you a greener and lush lawn in just three days from when you apply fertilizer.
This is an indication that it is nitrogen-rich. It has no listing of its N P K ratio, which further indicates that it has no phosphorus or potassium, or they come in such low quantities.
It has a 2-in-1 process that adds and feeds iron to your lawn well since grass needs iron to produce chlorophyll (the green on grass) which is essential for photosynthesis to take place during the growing season.
This fertilizer is also perfect if you have bare spots on the lawn since it helps thicken your grass, making it lush and green. Therefore, make sure to spread it well to cover those patchy regions. You can finally have the advantage of crowding out weeds and still get a thicker turf of Bermuda at the same time.
- It feeds your turf for a deep green Bermuda turf in just 3 days
- It has a dual-action with the 2-in-1 formula that feeds and supplements your turf with iron
- When used as directed, it is guaranteed not to stain
- It can be applied to any grass
- It is recommended for most lawns as part of a Scotts Lawn Care Plan
- It is okay to re-enter your lawn immediately after the product has been applied
- It has no listing of its N P K ratio, which indicates that it has no phosphorus or potassium, or they come in such low quantities
- It has a 2-in-1 process
5. Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food
- Lawn fertilizer formulated to feed and strengthen your lawn and protect…
- Formulated with Scotts exclusive All-in-One Particle technology for even…
- Builds strong, deep roots, and improves your lawn’s ability to absorb water…
- Won’t burn lawn guaranteed
- Apply to any grass type
Another fertilizer from the famous and reliable Scotts brand has you covered yet again when you need to clean up your lawn and make it look more amazing. This lawn food turf builder has nutrients that are used to support and feed your lawn. Meaning you’ll have fewer issues to deal with during the growing season.
Using this nitrogen fertilizer makes sure the grass roots grow stronger and deeper down over time. This further means that the grass can better absorb the nutrients and water needed for growth.
The Scotts brand is well known for its proprietary innovation called the All-in-one particles formulation. A formation that ensures that the plant has every bit of plant food and nutrients it needs. Feeding ensures a greener all-around lush and thick Bermuda lawn.
It works with all types of grasses, including Zoysia, Centipede, Buffalo, Bahia, Florida Palmetto, Fescue, Zoysia, Centipede, Buffalo, Bahia, Florida Palmetto Fescue, Kentucky Blue grass, Bermuda, and Ryegrass.
You will need to use a spreader to fertilize, and if you don’t already have one, you will probably need to purchase it as additional equipment.
- It is a lawn fertilizer that is formulated to feed and strengthen your turf lawn
- Its formulation helps protect it during the growing season in the summer or spring
- It is formulated using the Scotts All-in-one particle formulation technology for an even green and feeding
- It helps build strong and deep roots, which improves the lawn’s ability to absorb water and nutrients
- It guarantees not to burn your lawn turf
- It can be applied to any grass
- You will need to use a spreader to fertilize
Factors to Consider Best Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass
The weather conditions will determine what fertilizers you choose and whether or not you’ll need them at the time. For instance, applying whatever fertilizer you choose during heavy rainfall is a complete waste of time because it will most probably be washed away before it can be absorbed into the grass. Secondly, it will be a huge hazardous move.
The weather temperature is another factor that affects fertilizer intake. Ensure that you apply the fertilizer when the temperatures are at least above 60 F°, which encourages the absorption of nutrients by the plants.
B) The Application Frequency
How often you apply your fertilizer on your Bermuda grass then determines the fertilizer you settle on. But, unfortunately, too much fertilizer can actually hurt or even burn your grass.
For best results, check recommended doses of the fertilizer application of the fertilizer you settle on. Additionally, go for fertilizers that have a quick dissipation action and always follow the manufacturers’ directions on the dilution and the application frequency.
C) Time of Year
Fertilizers are manufactured for certain times and seasons that they should be applied. This means that some fertilizers perform best in warm/tropical climates while others perform best in cold seasons, and others can work okay in whatever season. Furthermore, some perform well in-between seasons. To get the right option, consider the time of the year you will apply.
D) Nutrient Content Ratio
Most fertilizers contain nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus in a specific ratio. Your needs will determine the fertilizer’s nutrient content ratio. Always go for a fertilizer with a higher ratio of these elements because it equates to better quality. In other cases, there are fertilizers meant for Bermuda grass, inclusive of other aspects such as iron.
Frequently Asked Questions on The Best Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass
1. How to make the Bermuda grass greener and thicker?
- Mow your lawn closer since mowing is very important, especially if you’re trying to grow your lawn thicker
- Feed the lawn with a 16-4-8 or 4-1-2 fertilizer
- Apply a pre-emergent weed herbicide
- Apply a post-emergent weed herbicide on the visible weeds
- Make sure to aerate your lawn regularly
- Treat any lawn diseases
2. How do I fertilize Bermuda grass?
Use a complete lawn fertilizer that contains a slow-release form of nitrogen. Apply the nitrogen fertilizer at the rate of 1.5 pounds of nitrogen per 1000 square feet of grass. This application will last 2-3 months. Plan to fertilize the Bermuda grass lawn again in late August-early September.
3. How to make my Bermuda grass turn to a dark green?
Apply fertilizer consistently once every month between spring to early fall (April and September). Use 2-3 pounds of a 34-0-0 fertilizer per 1,000 square feet of Bermuda grass to maintain its darkest green color. Fertilize the grass when dry and water it immediately you’re done spreading the fertilizer.
- Best Blunt Wraps for A Blunt Roll and A Perfect Buzz - July 28, 2021
- Best Fertilizer for Marijuana to Maximize Harvest and Yield - July 9, 2021
- Best Humidifier for Bedrooms to Reduce Dry Air in the Room - July 8, 2021