Like any other plant, cannabis plants need nutrients, ample water, and oxygen to thrive. It is why choosing the best soil for cannabis is vital to the quality and quantity of cannabis you’ll get. Growing cannabis can be an exhilarating process, especially when you start to see the fruits of your labor.
However, ensuring that the soil composition is suitable for your cannabis is important. You can easily control the amount of water and oxygen. However, getting the basic cannabis soil recipe is something you need to invest in.
Luckily, we’ve taken the task of researching out of your hands and compiled the best soil for cannabis list to ease your process. You can jump straight into planting once you choose the best growing weed soil from this list. Let’s dive in.
Types of Soil
Sand, clay, silt, and loam are the four primary organic soil types. Each has its own set of benefits and drawbacks for gardening. For example, while sandy soil is porous for root growth, it does not store water or fertilizer effectively.
Clay is the polar opposite. Clay soil becomes as hard as a rock when it’s hot and dry, making it tough for roots to penetrate. As a result, clay soils are difficult to cultivate and drain badly. But, on the other hand, it is high in minerals and natural nutrients.
Silt soils have a lot of minerals and are good at retaining moisture. However, this type of soil, like clay, can become compacted and hard under some conditions. It can also build a crust, making moisture and nutrients difficult to reach the roots of plants.
What is the Best Soil for Growing Weed Outdoors?
Loam is the best organic soil mix for growing marijuana plants and a wide range of other crops. Loam soil is a blend of clay, silt and sandy soil that brings out the greatest qualities of each type of soil while minimizing the negative aspects. A 20 percent clay, 40 percent silt, and 40 percent sand ratio are ideal for loam soil.
The majority of people believe that a pH of 6.0 is ideal for cannabis, with a range of 5.8 to 6.3 considered appropriate. Loamy soil is often in this zone or close to it, with a pH close to neutral. Test kits are available, or you can send a sample to your friendly local extension agent to determine the acidity of your soil.
Soil additives can be used to lower or raise the pH level in your soil if it does not have the right acidity. You can get ideas from your local nursery, garden store, or extension agent. Loamy soil is suitable for both indoor and outdoor growth. It is, unfortunately, usually the most expensive soil to purchase. However, if you want to cultivate the best plants possible, it can pay off big time in the long run.
You can also add organic materials to your loam soil to help it grow. You can use compost to enrich your soil if you have a compost bin. It will be a long process, but patience and tenacity will pay off in the end.
Best Soils for Cannabis
1. Miracle-Gro Indoor Potting Mix 6 qt.
- Blended for a wide variety of container plants
- Feeds up to 6 months
- Designed to be less prone to gnats (Contains no compost or bark, which are…
- Contains coconut coir, which holds and releases water and helps soil easily…
- For use in containers
With Miracle-Gro Indoor Potting Soil Mix, you can grow stunning indoor container plants such as weed. It’s been specially mixed for a wide range of container plants and is gnat-resistant. This combination contains an easy-to-water recipe that keeps the soil moist for up to 6 months while feeding. This product has no compost or bark, which harbor fungus gnats.
- Works with a wide range of container plants
- It is an easy-to-water recipe that keeps the soil moist for up to 6 months
- It is gnat-resistant
- Designed for container plants
2. Fox Farm Ocean Forest Plant Garden Potting Soil Mix
- QUALITY: FoxFarm Ocean Forest garden soil is the ultimate potting soil that…
- CONTENTS: 12 Quarts of a blend of earthworm castings, bat guano, sea-going…
- PH LEVELS: Ocean Forest is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 to allow for optimum…
- BENEFITS: Encourages strong branching and a sturdy, healthy growth habit…
- SIZE: (2 Pack) Each bag weighs: 11.9 lbs. Package Dimensions (L X W X H):…
Ocean Forest is another best soil for growing weed from Fox Farm. If you’re looking for the easiest soil mixes that work for all stages of the cannabis growing process, you’ve hit the jackpot with this best soil for cannabis. Your cannabis plants will move from seedlings to the harvest process within no time. This growing cannabis soil is already set to the ideal pH range of 6.3 – 6.8.
Therefore, your young cannabis plants will have no problem taking up the ingredients from this organic soil. You’ll notice the vigorous growth that other cannabis growers have been raving about for yourself with this soil mix.
Another perk for cannabis growers like yourself with this soil mix is getting a two-pack with one purchase. Therefore, you have extra potting soil to plant as many cannabis plants as you’d like. The disadvantage with this cannabis soil is that it is on the high end of the price range. Nonetheless, you can be sure that you’re getting quality for your money.
- Very easy to use potting soil
- Already pH adjusted to suit your cannabis plants
- Come as a two-in-one deal
- Great soil miz for both seedlings and mature plants
- Encourages healthy growth
- Doesn’t have enough perlite for proper aeration
- You may need to add more nutrients during the flowering phase
3. FoxFarm Happy Frog Potting Soil
- Ready to use right out of the bag
- This unique mix is alive with beneficial soil microbes and mycorrhizal…
- Dramatically expands root development enabling plants to feed more…
- Not for sale in: FL,GA,HI,IN,MO,SD
Happy Frog Potting Soil from FoxFarm is one of the most popular soils for cannabis on the market. If you have seedlings or young plants, you’ll love this soil mix that contains mycorrhizal fungi and some other beneficial microbes. This soil mix is great because it has a healthy mix of forest wood chips, bat guano, earth castings, and other essential nutrients. It facilitates the growth of your cannabis from seedling to harvest.
When growing cannabis, you don’t want your potting soils to be overly saturated. It can prevent the healthy growth of your weed because your plants can get burnt. FoxFarm knows this and ensures that their Happy Frog Potting Soil mix is not overdone regarding the nutrient contents.
If you are a beginner and are getting your bearings around the growing cannabis universe, we highly recommend that you get this Happy Frog Potting Soil for growing weed. This soil mix is perfect for seedlings because they don’t need a high nutrient content level. It also includes essential nutrients like worm castings and soil microbes.
- Has great water retention
- Includes incredible nutrients like worm castings and soil microbes
- Great for cannabis seedlings
- Completely insect-free
- Great for beginners
- Encourages healthy growth
- Contains excessive wood chips
- Doesn’t have enough P & K to facilitate the flowering phase
4. Real Growers Recharge (8oz)
- Organic Plant Growth Stimulant works on any plant that grows in soil
- Used for Indoor Gardening, Houseplants, Lawns, Bamboo and Edible fruit and…
- Works on pet pee lawn spots,organic gardens for fast growth and a quick…
- Loaded with Mycorrhizae,trichoderma, and beneficial bacteria with Kelp,…
- Replaces the need for compost teas
Gardening is made simple using Recharge. It contains billions of beneficial microbial life that provide organic nutrients to impoverished soils. Recharge is the most comprehensive living soil Megapack! It was created in Colorado specifically for high-performance gardeners. Mycorrhizae, Trichoderma fungi, and various bacteria species are found in Recharge.
Mycorrhizae fungus grows to protect the plant while also giving water and nutrients to the roots. Because of their excellent resistance to chemical fertilizers, the Trichoderma species of fungi are used in Recharge. In addition, these Trichoderma species are active decomposers, meaning they break down organic matter in the soil and make it available to plants.
The Beneficial Bacteria, on the other hand, are the star of Recharge. Bacillus subspecies consume and transform soil materials into nature’s perfect slow-release plant food, acting as billions of stomachs. The high-quality Ascophyllum nodosum Kelp extract and unsulfured blackstrap molasses are used as a food source in Recharge.
- This organic plant growth stimulant benefits indoor gardening, houseplants, and vegetable plants.
- Works on pet pee lawn areas, as well as organic gardening for rapid growth and greening
- Kelp, Humic, Fulvic, and Molasses are loaded with Mycorrhizae, Trichoderma, and beneficial microorganisms
- Mycorrhizae fungus grow to protect the plant while also giving water and nutrients to the roots
- Compost teas are no longer required in this living soil
- You need to purchase your container
5. Mother Earth Coco Plus Perlite Mix
- Mother Earth Coco + Perlite is a great alternative to potting soil as it…
- Use Mother Earth Coco + Perlite with indoor and outdoor container gardens
- Achieve better aeration and drainage with a mix that incorporates 70% of…
- Plant directly in Mother Earth Coco + Perlite
- Coconut coir resists compaction and last longer in a container (vs…
Use Mother Earth Coco and Perlite for greater aeration and drainage in indoor and outdoor container gardens. It is a wonderful alternative to potting soil and other traditional growing media, as it contains 70% of the finest coconut coir and 30% perlite.
Plant weed immediately in the mix and let the consistency assist you in feeding without worrying about over-watering. This one-of-a-kind blend has 70% of the finest coco pith and fiber mixture available. Additionally, it contains 30% perlite for improved aeration and drainage. A soil substitute with outstanding water retention is created when longer and shorter fibers are combined.
- Coco Bale is made from natural Coco Fiber that has been cleaned
- The 5 KG bale generates approximately 60 liters of material
- Maintains a high level of porosity and drainage
- It has a low salt content
- Grow media made of natural coco and perlite
- A fantastic alternative to potting soil and other traditional growing media
- It is rather expensive
6. Earth GL61100518430 Fertilizer & Soil
- Feed all bulbs, tubers, corms and rhizomes
- Made with 100% organic and natural ingredients
- Superior blend of fish bone meal, alfalfa meal, feather meal, soft rock…
- Contains no GMOs, chicken manure or sewage sludge
- Feeds for several months
For the past 29 years, Dr. Earth has served the organic community. Since their inception in 1991, they brought the first probiotic soils and fertilizers to the gardening market. Organic and natural materials are used to make this product. Fishbone meal, alfalfa meal, feather meal, soft rock phosphate, and mined potassium sulfate are combined in a superior combination.
There are no GMOs, poultry feces, or sewage sludge in this product. Several months’ worth of food. Probiotics, seven champion strains of beneficial soil bacteria, and ecto and endo mycorrhizae are all included. Better root establishment for larger, more plentiful buds, blooms, and fruit.
More naturally available phosphorus is used for steady plant development with no growth spikes. Drought resistance, higher nutrient availability, and improved plant performance are all benefits of eight different Ecto and Endo mycorrhizae strains. When applied as intended, it provides optimal levels of critical plant nutrients and removes the need for chemical fertilizers.
- There are no GMOs, poultry feces, or sewage sludge in this product
- Ensures better root establishment
- Natural phosphorus is used for steady plant development
- It is drought resistance
- Offers higher nutrient availability for the plants
- It has a smell at the beginning that goes away with time
7. Plantonix Coco Coir Brick
- 100% Natural & organic, OMRI Listed. Each brick weighs 1.4 lbs
- High-grade coconut coir with low EC and pH levels
- Provides plenty of aeration and drainage, Contains only coconut pith and…
- Our coco coir products are organic, guaranteed to be very high quality and…
- 100% natural, renewable replacement for peat moss, rockwool & perlite
Plantonix coco bliss is a premium growing medium with a neutral pH and is the greatest natural alternative to peat moss. Dirt, foreign material, and weed seeds are not present in the coco peat. As a result, coco peat surpasses the most popular brands of peat and sphagnum peat when used as a growing medium. Low EC values, high cation exchange capacity, explosive root development and improved plant vigor (CEC) are all benefits of Coco peat.
It has superior water holding capacity and can retain nutrients and buffer supplies against leaching. Because the materials break down slowly, the result will not shrink during the growing process. Without causing plant stress, it re-wets readily and minimizes watering frequency. In addition, it has higher water retention, allowing more air space and drainage.
It is a sustainable option to peat moss and can be used as a soil amendment for potted plants, containers, and gardens. Peat moss is easier to hydrate and lasts longer in the soil while not harming natural peat bogs. In addition, it breaks up hard clay soils, allowing nutrients to be utilized more effectively.
- It is suitable for Clay soil remediation with poor drainage
- It is natural and organic
- It has a superior water holding capacity
- It is easy to use
- It re-wets readily and minimizes the watering frequency
- It can be used as a potted plant soil addition
- It is rather expensive
8. Super Soil Autoflower Concentrate
- Concentrated Strength Organic Super Soil (just add soil media)
- 5 pounds of concentrate mixed with potting soil amends 25 gallons of…
- Just water from seed to harvest (microorganisms in the super soil provide…
- Living Soil technology designed for autoflower and for your vegetable…
- All-In-One – Soil Amendment – Top Feed – Compost Tea – Potting Soil – Super…
You can expect to get all the ingredients your cannabis plants need in this organic super soil mix when it comes to Natures Living Soil. Some of these ingredients include Organic Worm Castings, Coconut Water Powder, Aloe Vera The Microorganisms, High-Quality Bat Guano, Blood Meal, Bone Meal, Azomite, Epsom Salt, Kelp Meal, Dolomite Lime, Fish Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Bone Meal, and Blood Meal.
In addition to these great ingredients, this best soil for cannabis plants also has microorganisms that add spice to this cannabis soil. Some of these include Glomus Mosseae, Pisolithus Tinctorius, Trichoderma Harzianum, Glomus Aggregatum, Scleroderma Cepa, Scleroderma Citrinum, Glomus Intraradices, and Glomus Etunicatum.
This Natures Living Soil is an organic super soil that will take your cannabis plants from seedlings to harvest time in a split second. These soil mixtures are expensive but get the job done.
- Consists of superb ingredients and microorganisms such as organic worm castings
- Popular among cannabis growers
- Easy to grow marijuana in
9. Coast of Maine Stonington Blend Organic Growers Mix
- CONTAINER GARDENING: The Stonington Blend Organic Grower’s Mix is a complex…
- BALANCED BLEND: Formulated to provide an ideal balance between water…
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Formula includes mycorrhizal fungi, kelp, fishbone…
- ENCOURAGES HEALTHY GROWTH: Organic growing mix encourages healthy…
- FEATURES: Bag covers 1.50 cubic feet; Mix is OMRI Listed for organic use;…
The Coast of main is another pick that is the best soil for cannabis that will make your cannabis plant sing with joy. This organic potting soil mix for marijuana plants is perfect for you if you don’t want to spend more money on pH monitors. This good cannabis soil works as a stand-alone soil mixture containing all your cannabis plants need.
Some of these ingredients include kelp meal, fish meal, lobster compost, worm castings, alfalfa meal, and mycorrhizal. However, the downside of having all these essential ingredients in this good cannabis soil is that it comes at a high price, literally.
Therefore, if you are willing to get this best potting soil at the price it comes at, you can be sure that you are getting good soil. Both beginners and professionals in the growing weed industry can benefit from the best soil for growing weed.
- You don’t have to adjust for pH
- This marijuana soil contains very high-quality ingredients
- Grows cannabis plans from seedling to harvest
- No need to add more supplements
- Lacks perlite or good drainage
10. Weedness Canna Terra Erde Soil Mix
Canna Terra is a popular company for providing farmers with enough nutrients and tools to undertake their activities. From nutrients to potting soil, indoor and outdoor growers are singing this company’s praises. For this specific soil for growing marijuana, you are sure to get good quality cannabis soil with this purchase.
This super soil for growing weed is filled with organic-rich ingredients that make it the right soil for growing weed. Organic earthworm castings, sphagnum moss peat, perlite, compost, and other organic nutrients make this the best soil for growing cannabis seeds. Your young seedlings will love this best organic soil, whether you are doing indoor or outdoor cultivation.
Your container plants will have exceptional root development without the risk of diseases. The high-value organic ingredients such as airy peat moss ensure that this is the case. These organic soils ensure that the root growth is perfect and the stems of your cannabis are thick.
- Trusted by many customers across the globe
- Affordable price
- High-value ingredients to prevent diseases
- Great for indoor and outdoor growing
- Promotes formation of thicker stems
- Not readily available to users outside the UK
- May have infestations
Factors to Consider When Getting the Best Soil for Cannabis
1. Ease of Use
If you are a beginner when it comes to choosing the right potting soil for growing cannabis, this is the factor that you should focus on the most. For the potting soils that we’ve looked at above, you’ll find that these are mostly “plug-and-play” soils.
It means that you don’t have to do much except water the cannabis plant. One way to ensure that your soil is good and won’t need much tending is to find a pH-balanced soil mix. It means that you won’t have to use a pH pen on your soil.
2. Number of Cannabis Plants
Some of the soil mixes we’ve looked at are not that budget-friendly. Therefore, have an exact number of plants you’ll grow before you get yourself the best soil for growing weed. It will prevent you from getting too much or too little potting soil.
A single bag of potting soil can be enough to support a single plant or about six weed plants in small pots or containers. On the other hand, if you are growing more than six plants in large containers, you may need more than one growing cannabis potting soil bag.
3. With or Without Microbes
It is an important factor. We’ve seen that microbes help your cannabis plant stay clear of diseases. However, knowing whether you want your soil to be alive or not will help you make a better decision on which potting soil mix to go with.
The beneficial microbes like bacteria and fungi (mycorrhizal) play an important role in growing your cannabis roots and plant in general. These creatures break down the nutrients making it easy for your marijuana to absorb them.
Promoting root growth, enhancing nutrient absorption, and protecting your plant from harmful fungi and bacteria are some of the benefits of having a microbes-filled organic super soil.
Note that the best soil for growing weed with microbes will likely be more expensive than the one that does not.
4. Supplement-Based or Stand-Alone
Do you want a potting mix that you can amend with additional supplements or one that already has all the necessary nutrients? A stand-alone organic potting mix is suitable for seedlings as it provides them with the nutrients they need to grow strong.
If you choose a supplement-based option, you may need to add more nutrients to make it able to promote healthy growth. Nonetheless, there are cannabis growers who prefer to get these cannabis soils to fine-tune their existing soil personally.
We don’t encourage this option for beginners because you haven’t yet learned the art of growing weed with your soil. You may poke around and end up doing more harm than good. The stand-alone soil mix has the nutrients necessary. We recommend this option for the best soil for cannabis for beginners.
5. Organic vs. Inorganic
Organic mixes contain nutrients from organic sources. It is the better option as these soils don’t harm the environment and are better for your general well-being. These are the options that we’ve looked at above.
The inorganic potting cannabis soil, on the other hand, is the opposite. This type of cannabis soil is slightly cheaper than organic outdoor soil or indoor soil. Therefore, the choice is up to you and your preferences.
6. Additional Aeration
We’ve seen that some soil mixes above have perlite while others do not. Perlite is an ingredient that increases the amount of air in your cannabis soil. Your cannabis plant needs oxygen to grow well. Therefore, having extra air pockets in your soil mix can have great advantages.
Some of these advantages include good drainage, better water retention, and proper root development. However, poor drainage can cause bacterial root rot and fungus in your original potting soil. Therefore, you can test your soil mix to see if it needs additional aeration or work without perlite.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What pH should cannabis soil have?
Less than 7. Anything ranging from 5.8 to 6.3 can be appropriate for your best soil for growing weed. You can either choose a soil mix that is already pH moderated or use a pH pen to do it yourself.
If you are a beginner in this cannabis growing industry, we recommend choosing soil for cannabis growth that has all of these factors considered.
2. How much perlite do I add to my soil?
The perlite content should be approximately 10-50% of the total volume of your organic soil for cannabis plants. You can add 10-20% of the perlite to improve the water retention or boost good drainage of your soil mix.
The other option is choosing the best soil for cannabis with perlite included in its ingredients. It will save you time and the trouble of measuring and adding the perlite yourself.
Especially if you are a beginner, we encourage you to choose stand-alone potting soil that already has all the nutrients your cannabis plants need.
- Best CBD flower For A Therapeutic and Medicinal Effect - October 11, 2021
- Best CBD Oil for Anxiety Disorders, Stress, and Depression - October 8, 2021
- Best Indica Strains to Grow for Cannabis Users - October 4, 2021