Marijuana is a resilient plant and can grow anywhere in the right conditions. However, the right and best fertilizer for marijuana plants can help with high-value yield production. For a long time, the cannabis plant has naturally grown in the wild and done well. With the existing farming strategies today, cannabis should be able to flourish.
Types of Fertilizer For Marijuana
1. Chemical Fertilizers
Chemical fertilizers are synthetic additives made specifically to increase yield. Marijuana fertilizers are usually either nitrogen-based or phosphate-based. As a liquid fertilizer, they boost plant growth at an exponential rate. In the commercial-scale farming of cannabis plants, chemical fertilizers are the most used. However, chemical fertilizers can also be used for small-scale cultivation and home use.
Chemical fertilizers are perfect when you want to maximize your growing time and have bigger buds at the end of the harvesting season.
a. Humboldt’s Secret Sweet & Sticky – Carbohydrate and Saccharide Energy Source
- CARBOHYDRATE/SACCHARIDE ENERGY SOURCE: Our Sweet & Sticky formula contains…
- SUPPORTS A THRIVING ROOT ZONE: A thriving root zone directly impacts your…
- FLAVOR, AROMA, AND ESSENTIAL OILS: Sweet & Sticky supports a thriving root…
- SUITABLE FOR HYDROPONIC, COCO, AND SOIL CULTIVATION: Sweet & Sticky is…
- BETTER CROP YIELD: A high concentration of carbohydrates improves nutrient…
For thriving weed plants, you require quality ingredients. Humboldt’s fertilizer is compatible with all watering systems. However, oversaturating the soil with a chemical fertilizer can kill your cannabis plants and strip the soil of other necessary ingredients.
- Contains a rich source of carbohydrate, microbe food, and saccharide, suitable for organic soil and any planting method.
- Supports thriving microbial life in the soil to ensure essential nutrients are supplied directly to your plants.
- Enhances the natural taste and aroma of your plants
- Suitable for all types of cultivation, including hydroponic, soil, and coco cultivation
- Increased yield due to increased plant nutrients
- Increased resin production during the flowering stage of the plant’s life cycle
- It can be alternated or mixed with brewing compost tea for soil drench to promote advanced nutrients generation.
The feeding schedule can be used in all plant life cycle stages, including the flowering phase, stem, and leaf development.
- Once mixed for use, the shelf life drastically reduces
b. Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom
- Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom — The Right Juice for the Right Use!
- Start with Grow Big for abundant green growth
- Switch to Tiger Bloom at the first sign of bud set or flowering
- Use Big Bloom throughout all growing cycles to heal root systems and…
- Ideal for mature, late-season flowers and fruit
The Fox Farm trio kit comes in a three-sequence nutrient pack. At the beginning of the plant’s life cycle, you can use the grow big fertilizer for abundant leaf and stem growth. At first sight of flowering, you are supposed to use the tiger bloom. The big bloom fertilizer should be used on all stages of plants life.
- Supports multiple blooms and seed formation
- Ideal for mature plants, late-season plants, and flowers
- Ensures continued nutrient cycling by aiding root development and growth
- Keeps a relatively steady Ph balance to keep micronutrients available and stimulate beneficial microbial activity.
- This range of fertilizers can be used in a hydroponic system as well
- It can double up as a foliar fertilizer if mixed with water and sprayed on the leaves of flowering plants
- Prevents nutrient lockout by ensuring a stable Ph level
- The nutrient content is absorbed immediately after being placed in the soil
- The bloom fertilizers encourage multiple bud development for maximum yield
- Treatment is only required up to twice a week
- This fertilizer range can cause the death of plants if you don’t flush out your system every two weeks
c. TPS Base A+B Two-Part Set Complete Plant Growing Nutrient Formula for All Plants
- COMPLETE PLANT GROWTH FERTILIZER: TPS Nutrients BASE AB SET contains…
- SAFE ON ALL PLANTS: Should be used with every watering from cutting to…
- COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER FERTILIZERS: TPS BASE AB is fully compatible in…
- ENERGY DENSE FERTILIZER FOR FAST GROWING PLANTS: All of TPS’s fertilizers…
- DESIGNED TO BE SUSTAINABLE: Every ingredient and every process was designed…
As you grow cannabis plants, you will expect yields to be bountiful. TPS synthetic fertilizers have propagated indoor plants’ quick growth and yields, outdoor plants, and even medical marijuana. TPS fertilizer is loaded with nutrients and corrects calcium and magnesium deficiencies fast.
- Contains balanced nutrition inclusive of micro-nutrients, organic nutrients, and macro-nutrients.
- Safe and works for all types of plants
- It can be used with every watering cycle from cutting to harvest
- TPS is compatible with all supplements such as humic acid, kelp, and any other fertilizer
- The nutrient density of TPS ensures minimal wastage.
- Designed to be sustainable for nutrient cycling
- Has an array of chelation. The minerals are paired with organic acids and plant extracts for increased uptake and bio-availability.
- It can be used during soil turnover for a successful yield
- If overused, it can cause nutrient burn and over-fertilization
2. Organic Fertilizers
Organic fertilizers contain minerals acquired naturally as opposed to synthetic nutrients. They are usually made from guano, kelp meal, fish meal, worm castings, or bone meal. Organic fertilizers can also be utilized in large-scale farming and commercial fertilizers.
Soil fertilizers and especially organic fertilizers, are packed with beneficial microorganisms and organic matter like amino acids. As a result, organic fertilizers add to the soil stability over time and help grow premium products by dispersing a well-balanced nutrient ratio.
a. Dr. Earth 708P Organic 9 Fruit Tree Fertilizer
- Stimulates healthy root development
- For healthier fruit
- Made with 100% organic and natural ingredients
- Contains no GMOs, chicken manure or sewage sludge
- Feeds for several months
Dr. Earth organic fertilizers are crafted from all-natural ingredients. Contents like everyday food scraps, which contain nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, become integral to marijuana plant growth. As a result, marijuana fertilizer brings forth healthy marijuana plants with abundant flowering nutrients, which facilitates healthy bud growth.
- Stimulates healthy root growth and development
- Made with 100% natural ingredients
- Does not contain any chicken manure or sewage sludge
- Does not contain any trace minerals of genetically modified ingredients (GMO)
- The feed will last for several months.
- Contains pro-biotics, champion strains of beneficial soil microbes plus Ecto and endo mycorrhizae to stimulate vegetative growth, root growth, and flower production.
- There are no abrupt growth spurts with the use of this weed fertilizer.
- The primary and secondary nutrients are feather meal, fishbone meal, cottonseed meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, soft rock phosphate, mined potassium sulfate, and seaweed extract.
- Comes in a coarse powder form
- It is not convenient for indoor plants
b. Jobe’s Organics 09524 Purpose Granular Fertilizer
- Organic granular fertilizer; Fast acting fertilizer for flowers,…
- OMRI listed for organic gardening by USDA; Certified organic means no…
- Contains Jobe’s Biozomethe proprietary microorganism archaea that…
- Jobe’s Biozome improves soil conditions, helps resist disease, insects,…
- Easy pour bag; Guaranteed analysis: (4-4-4) 1.5 pound resealable bag,…
Jobe’s organic fertilizers are renewable, biodegradable, sustainable, and good for the environment. The fertilizers and nutrients are essential for marijuana plants to grow into healthy plants. Growing marijuana in a controlled environment will require plant food in the form of organic and chemical fertilizers.
Because plants grow at different rates, organic fertilizers could be the best option when it comes to growing weed on your own. Starting with a lower dose and gradually increasing your fertilizer will help your plants adapt better and benefit from a slow nutrient uptake.
- Listed and approved for organic gardening by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Does not contain any synthetic materials or ingredients
- Contains a range of different plant food for different plants
- Contains a naturally occurring proprietary microorganism archaea that efficiently breaks down material for quick results.
- Drastically improves soil condition, thereby promoting plant nutrition.
- Safe for use around kids and pets
- Helps weed plants resist diseases and insects
- Safe for the environment
- Suitable for indoor, outdoor, potted, small scale, and commercial farming
- Aids plant growth by promoting phosphorus and potassium uptake
- Has foul odor
c. Down to Earth Organic All-Purpose Fertilizer Mix 4-6-2
- Down To Earth All Purpose Mix is a five pound box of all natural fertilizer…
- A gentle, non-burning fertilizer made for vegetables, herbs, flowers and…
- Designed to deliver a steady supply of essential nutrients to your plants…
- Listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) for use in organic…
- Ingredients: Fish Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Feather Meal, Rock Phosphate,…
This organic blended fertilizer is made with quality ingredients for all types of plants, flowering shrubs, trees, and vegetables. Down to earth features a complete line of natural and organic fertilizers, soil amendments, composts, and potting media. They, in turn, work with the microorganisms and organic matter in the soil to feed plants and stimulate healthier photosynthesis cycles.
- This is the ideal mix for transplants.
- It is a gentle, non-burning, and best fertilizer for plant food.
- It is manufactured to naturally deliver a steady supply of essential nutrients to your plants while enhancing soil fertility and microbial activity.
- Listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) for use in organic production and great to use on vegetable gardens, containers, houseplants, trees, shrubs, and row crops/acreage.
- The ingredients are Fish Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Feather Meal, Rock Phosphate, Langbeinite, Greensand, Humates, and Kelp Meal.
- Only requires application twice a month.
- Instructions for application are clear and concise. They require no effort to understand.
- Has a foul odor
3. Coco coir fertilizer
Coco coir is harvested from the husk of a coconut and can be added to soil to increase moisture retention. Coco coir is a soilless, growing substitute for actual soil. It can be efficiently used in hydroponic growers for hydroponic farming.
This soil blend is ideal for optimum plant growth, nutrient-rich, and promotes fast germination. It is also great for house plants, vegetables, cacti, succulents, and other plants needing a quality growth environment with fast drainage.
a. Nutrient-Rich Coco Coir, Worm Castings, and Perlite Indoor Outdoor Garden Soil Blend – 2QT
- Premium Pre-Mixed Potting Soil Blend – Made of premium quality organic coco…
- Prevent Root Rot by Replacing Low Quality Store Bought Soil: Store bought…
- Great for house plants, vegetables, cacti, succulents and other plants…
- 2QT sized bag is the optimal amount of soil for small to medium sized…
This is a slow degrading soil blend that ensures the enrichment of both plants and soil. Because coco peats by themselves have very little nutrients, it’s important that you get enriched coco coir for your plants.
- Facilitates a slow release of nutrients when added to enriched or fertilized soil
- Over a period of time, coco coir improves the diversity and of soil by encouraging a natural environment for plants.
- Improves the airflow and water retention of sole
- Its a renewable and sustainable method
- It does not provide excess nutrients to the soil
- Treated coco peats can discourage pests and weeds
- It is excellent as a seed starter
- Supports strong root growth in cannabis cultivation
- A renewable and sustainable method of farming or gardening
- Holds up to 150% of its weight in water
- It can be used as a plant liner
- Perfect for indoor plants
- Prevents root rot by providing aeration
- Pure coco coir has limited nutrients and will only help with aeration and water retention.
Frequently asked questions
a. What is the difference between organic and chemical fertilizers?
Both fertilizers are great cannabis fertilizers. They can also be beneficial to your plants if applied correctly. However, growing cannabis requires the best marijuana fertilizer. Chemical fertilizers have ingredients such as phosphorus P and potassium readily available for uptake. Organic plant food, on the other hand, takes a while before being broken down into cannabis nutrients.
b. What nutrients does my weed plant need?
Your marijuana plant needs a combination of macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients to make the best marijuana plant food. Macro-nutrients include; Nitrogen (n), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K)-NPK cannabis fertilizer. Micro-nutrients include; Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, and copper. Macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients are both required in varying quantities.
Nitrogen is the nutrient most required during the vegetative stage of cannabis development. The flowering stage needs more Phosphorus and Potassium. Additionally, growing cannabis plants require non-mineral elements from the air and water. Non-mineral elements such as Hydrogen, Carbon, and Oxygen.
c. Where can I purchase cannabis seeds?
As long as you are a licensed grower in some states where growing weed is legal, you can purchase cannabis seeds from any other grower or seed distributor in your area.
d. What is the best fertilizer for me?
Both fertilizers can work for you depending on your budget, farming method, farming scale, and preference. In addition, there are soil blends of organic and chemical fertilizer, specifically made for commercial use, which you can also use.
It would help if you understood that different brands of fertilizer have different methods of use. For example, some will be mixed with water for irrigation, and others will be applied directly to the soil. Other fertilizers will require you to flush out your soil immediately before harvesting.
Selecting the perfect fertilizer with the correct nutrient ratios is important for growing weed. The right ratio and quantity will double or even triple your yields. However, the best cannabis fertilizer for your plants depends on what works for you in the long run.
It is no secret that once you get the right method of growth and fertilizer, depending on your effort, you will have green leaves on all your plants. Your yield will only be fluffy, sticky, and healthy flowers from your cannabis plant.
- Best Blunt Wraps for A Blunt Roll and A Perfect Buzz - July 28, 2021
- Best Fertilizer for Marijuana to Maximize Harvest and Yield - July 9, 2021
- Best Humidifier for Bedrooms to Reduce Dry Air in the Room - July 8, 2021